Destination Engagement Photographer
I flew to Calgary for the weekend and photographed this engagement session at the location where they met and where he proposed.
Nakiska Ski Area is where they both play and work and train and that's why I always recommend you choose a location for your engagement photos that means something to the both of you.
- What is it about my photos that speaks to you?
Theres a feeling in them. You can tell that thought went into every photo, how it was framed. The contrast, use of available lighting and colour is thoughtful. The photos are sharp and clear but also have a softness to them.
Their Love Story
- How did you meet?
- We met at a ski show, where I had gone to learn more about the Alberta Masters Ski Club. We really got to know each other the next year when I crashed my car and needed to carpool to get to and from skiing. We would spend the entire car ride talking.
- What do you remember most about your first date?
- It was very spontaneous, we didn't really have a plan for dinner but decided to do it.
- When did you know he was the one?
- When he supported me fully and unconditionally through a tough career change. I went through training to become a firefighter, and didn't even have time to think about anything else other than that for the intensive 3 months. When I came home each night, he would have a meal ready for me, give the time and space I needed to study and keep me sane while I felt I was going crazy.
- How did you feel the moment he proposed?
- Were you surprised by his planning?Surprised and happy. He organized a big thing at the gym, I'm amazed he was able to keep that secret for as long as he did.
- What do you like to do as a couple?
- Everything. We like to workout together, ski, run, hike, hangout outside. We also love to sit at home and watch Netflix and Disney Plus, discuss science topics we know very little about and learn new things together
- If you could use 3 word to describe the theme of your day what would they be?
- Romantic, Fun,
- What is the one thing that attracted you most about your partner?
- Lauren : He pushes me, to be better, to do more, to try new things. Derek: I'm attracted to you? The way she smiles with goggles on, the goggles push on your cheeks and give you cute dimples and then your face lights up. ( we ski a lot)
- Tell me 3 things about your partner that describe them best?
- Lauren: Thoughtful, Caring, Makes me laugh Derek: Caring, Thoughtful, Athletic ( no I didn't tell him what I wrote before I asked him)
- Tips or advice that you would give to future couples when planning a wedding?
- Include your partner, Don't sweat the small stuff and its your day so do the things that will make you happy on that day
- How did you feel about the engagement session after it was all over?
- Cant believe it went so fast, and felt so easy/goofy. We had lots of fun and are super excited for our wedding photos.